Friday, August 10, 2012

Korean Food Love

My husband and I have always gone to Japanese restaurant if we want to  dine out. Ever since he came back from his trip to Korea, he has been wanting to share with me his gastronomical experience.

We then looked for the "best" korean restaurant. We read from Awesome Planet website that there are 3 restos at Burgos, Makati. It is tucked away from those girly bars lining the streets of the red district. It is carinderia style and waiting for your food is like waiting for your mum to cook your food. I wouldnt say it's homey, but it's a very straight forward korean food place.

We first tried going to Min Sok as the rain was pouring hard and the first parking spot we saw was in front of them. (I'll try to blog about our food trip there some other time). That was my first korean food resto and I thought, "ok, maybe i'll get used to this taste".

A week later I asked husband if we could try the other restaurant just in front of Min Sok, the Manna Korean Garden. We ordered the same dishes we had from the other resto. Of course I wanted to compare!

My husband is trying to help me watch my diet and prevented me to eat-all-you-can Yakimix anymore, so this grilling thing works for me as substitute.

Here are the beef and pork belly bacon yummy yummy for grilling. Those are the side dishes served with the meat. There's tofu, been sprout, potatoes, sauce, kimchi! That miso soup (lower right) is free and savory.

My husband said, this is how you eat it. Wrap everything in cabbages and lettuce.



Bibimbap.
Bibimbap. I have a yummy fascination for the content of this clay bowl. We ordered pork and beef to grill, so we thought we'll have this bowl for our rice. I know "where's the rice? where's the rice?". It is beneath the teared nori, bean sprout,beef, carrot and egg. I like it for the surprise salty taste on every 2 or 3 bites. Once served to you, you have to stir it quick or the rice will get crusty. (albeit my dad will like the "tutong").


Kimbap.
Kimbap. We did not order for this, but it looked yummy so it stayed.  This is like a japanese california maki but serve with soy sauce and chili pepper. I asked for wasabi, and the waiter gave me a tube that looks like old and the wasabi is dark, brownish green. Skipped the wasabi.


I have also included a snippet of the menu. You can see the price of what we ordered, just to give you an idea.


The restaurant interior is not pretentious and intimidating. You're greeted with a sweet Korean smiles (I think they're the owners). I took it as a sign that we will have a pleasant dining, authentic Korean dining experience. My husband said, the food here is closer to the ones he had in Korea. I'll take his comment as a good thing. I sometimes judge a dining place with the free soup they serve. The miso soup was really good! The Bibimbap bowl, I scraped it till none. My palate lately wanted rest from the usual meal I have. Eating here is like resetting my palate and letting it know that there are other  flavors to discover and enjoy.

Manna Korean Garden
5650 Don Pedro Street, Poblacion, Makati City
+632 897 6799
Accepts credit card.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6