Monday, January 9, 2012

Kien's 7th Birthday - The Preparation Week 1 of 6

Kien's 7th birthday is 6 weeks from now.  I had no idea how to get things started.  All I know is that I want some pompoms that Daphne Paez had on her daughter's party  Fancy Nancy themed party. (That's a book Kien reads). I read Ms. Paez blog about the party & ordered a cake. But that was it.

Look at the pompoms on top!
Rae's party setting is fabuloso!
Luckily, I met the mother of Kien's classmate, Rae.  Rae hosted her daughter's 6th birthday.  We live in the same building with small units, yet she managed to make the party minimal & fabulously decorated.

She moved the furnitures to the bedrooms. Rented chairs and tables. Gave activities to kids. Gave me ideas and pompoms!!!

If I can make that work in my house I'll be able to save cash on the venue. That was my thought. 

Jumpstart
Ok. Ok. So my mind kept rolling from then on. How do I move things around in my house? Sure I can do this...Until ideas came to mind. How about use that huge vacant space in front of my husband's office? Business partners said YES! How about the chairs and tables from that night club/bar, they're close during daytime. YES! How about table clothes? Got an angel for a sponsor. YES!

The List
Martha Stewart in her website said, 6 weeks of preparation. Mine is not in her order, but I will try to do what I can in 6 weeks.

The list. 1st draft.
Of course I made a list. 6 pages.  I have a doodle of where the chairs and tables are gonna go, castle, pompoms. A list of guests (limited as in school classmates). A list of games, food, activities, prizes.

DIY's
I'm telling you, I'm very lucky.  One of our friends (Ms. Stephanie SY, also my husband's business partners) have volunteered to do the decorations.  Well she said, she likes DIY projects, doesnt actually do them, but will look for people to do the job. Sounds fine! I like it!

The DIY idea is not just about saving on cash, but also putting in that extra special love on this birthday project. Those first 4 birthdays that I hosted for my daughter I remember every single detail because I cooked, I researched, I worked my heart out for. The 5th & 6th, it was so simple, it was in school. All I can remember is I ordered from Jollibee and Red Ribbon bakeshop.

You know how you've been given so many ideas, you read too and research. Then suddenly you get this pumped to work on the project with enthusiasm with ideas of your own. Here's some of mine...
Princess Hats
Invitation Card for Boys. Look at the Pirate!


Invitation Card For Girls
It says Pirates & Princesses.
I had the courage to do all those because my daughter is right by my side to approve or reject anything I'm working on. That invitation card has been revised 3 times!  Thank you for the WWWs and thank you for friends!

There will be no clown or magicians planned to the party. The sorbetero has been scrapped too. The face painting is a definite. Our friend Steph have so many fun activities thought of. Hopscotch and whiteboards. Castle cutouts made from cardboards. I CANT WAIT!!!!  These are the things that I'm very much on board with because it says fun but not gastos. It's like having a party planner only better.